Monday, December 16, 2013

Gay Cakes and Birth Control

Since I live in Denver I am hearing a lot about the local business owner that refused to bake a cake for a gay couple to celebrate their union.

I'm honestly torn by this.

On one hand, I have a lot of small business owners in my circle of family and friends. I would not want someone to tell these business owners to go against their own values. I believe that small business owners should have the right to run their establishment as they see fit.

On the other hand, the guy is being a bigot. It sucks. It's also illegal. We had a civil rights fight for a reason.

I'm not even sure if I would want a bigoted baker to bake me a cake...

I can understand why someone who opens a small store would want to run their business as they see fit and have a moral dilemma with serving customers who blatantly go against their values. I would not want to make a cake for a Nazi skinhead... But are Nazi skinheads a protected minority? Would I care in the moment?

On a much larger scale we have large businesses, with thousands of employees, pushing their religious beliefs on their employees. Hobby Lobby is one of the larger corporations trying to not have birth control covered by their employee's insurance. This is disgusting.

Religious churches are pushing their religious opinions on their patients. There are stories of women being denied even the option of terminating a pregnancy due to health issues for the baby and/or mother. This is terrifying.

I'm not sure what else to write about this. My internal struggle pulls back and forth on small vs large corporations and their individual rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment