Monday, November 23, 2015

I'm the Worst Liberal Ever

So, this week is Thanksgiving and I will be going home to Louisiana for a traditional celebration with family.

Last year I was not able to go home or visit family at all so I hosted a traditional dinner at the Secular Hub. It was such a success we decided to make it a tradition at the center. This year, since I am able to go home, I won't be hosting. I did, however, have a hand in the planning of the event.

I was able to find a few people who are willing to host the dinner for 20 something people. Turkey has been purchased, ham has been ordered, attendees have been given their food assignments. It's going to be a great day at the Secular Hub.

However, last week the Hub MeetUp message board received a message from a new member asking us about the event. They wanted to know if we were going to be hosting an inclusive 'day of mourning' in lieu of the traditional feast. They went on to explain that the day of mourning was to be a protest of the traditional Thanksgiving celebration and commemorate the atrocities of the Native American people at the hands of the white pilgrims.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?

Okay, I get it. We need to remember that the Europeans came here and massacred the Native Americans. They deceived and stole from them. The Native Americans got a raw deal and continue to have hardships from this. I get it. We all get it.

There is no way in fictional hell that we are now going to have a fasting, march to a memorial place, and mourn the shameful acts of others. No.

Just..... No...... (basic white girl moment) Seriously, I can't even.

It's moments like these that remind me that I am, actually, from the south. The land of, "Fuck that. Go cry somewhere else."

I HATE this nonsense. I feel like if I disagree with this person's suggestion of a day of mourning it makes me into a bad progressive. Same as when I disagree with a feminist's idea that it's wrong for a woman to choose to be a stay-at-home mom, it makes me feel like a bad feminist.

The spirit of Thanksgiving was to be a coming together of different cultures to break bread and be mindful of community and what you have. That's what it's all about now. It's one of those special times of year (and sometimes only time) that people are able to come together to be with their friends and/or family. Personally, I only get to see my father maybe once a year. This is that one time for us. I'm going to celebrate it.

Did the pilgrims do a terrible thing against the Native Americans? Yes. Should we remember the past so that we don't repeat it? Absolutely!  Am I going to feel shame for the rest of my life for something my ancestors did? Hell no. And how dare you try to make others feel bad for being happy about the holiday.

Thanksgiving is about stuffing your face, watching football, seeing your family, ducking questions about your future marital plans, and figuring out your game plan for Black Friday.

Go be mournful somewhere else. I'm too stoked about turkey to have you be a damn wet-blanket.


No comments:

Post a Comment