Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Atheist Community

Last night I went to the Secular Hub here in Denver. I've been many times before but, for whatever reason, last night was particularly special to me. The Hub is a center for the secular community. My group, The Denver Atheists, and any and all secular groups in the Denver Metro area use the space for meetings, events and other gatherings. It's a place for us to go to meet and hang with our fellow heathens. I love it.

Last night one of the board members was speaking to a couple that was visiting for the first time. The way he explained the Hub put the place into great perspective for me. He said that when people go to church there is a person who stands in the front of the congregation and the main point of going there is to listen. The Hub is a place to participate.  There is not usually a main reason to gather other than we can.

This is what I love about the Hub and the people in it. We come together to speak our minds and everyone is encouraged to do so. I am never the smartest person in the room. I enjoy listening to the science and ideas floating around the room. It's fascinating to be in the presence of such intellectual, physical and musical talent.

Last night was no different. We had a Flying Spaghetti Monster dinner. Pasta was on the menu, of course. The Hub house band, Pale Blue, played.  (Named after Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot) I did not do a head count but I assume we had over 40 people. For such a small building and a small secular community this was a great turn out. There were people of all ages and backgrounds. Children as young as 5 and seniors into their 70's. Singles, old married couples, widows, gf/bf's and hopefuls.

I looked around and realized that, even when I was a church member, I had never been a part of such an open community. I was never able to walk into church and know everyone in the room. I was given work assignments based on my gender and not my ability. I was taught to keep quiet and agree with my elders.

The Hub gives me a place to go and meet friends. Real friends. Ones who celebrate in accomplishments and grieve together at loss. Ones with whom I can laugh, joke, cry and complain. Ones who genuinely care about my health. Ones who do not blame bad things on  the devil or tell me that I am being punished by a god for my sins. Friends that give advise, tell me when I have a stupid idea, or just listen.  

I'm proud to be a member of this community. I am 2,000 miles from any family and I miss them terribly. But the secular community that I have become a part of has become as close to a family that I could have asked for.

http://www.secularhub.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment