Thursday, April 3, 2014

Social Court

Many of us have seen the work of  'social court' play out many times. In today's astronomical access to information at a moment's notice via social media it's difficult to say ANYTHING that won't offend someone. Our world has become so PC that we are all afraid to voice our unpopular opinions.

Here is what I consider a good guideline for becoming offended:
-- If I have a problem with someone's opinion that's my problem and I need to deal with it internally.
-- When a person's opinion becomes law/standard/physically harmful and directly affects my life then you have a problem and it needs to be addressed.

When the founder of Chick-fil-A made some statements about his opinions on marriage- I was pissed. I haven't eaten at one of the locations since. Do I think What's-his-face cares? Of course not. He has his personal opinions and I have mine. He chooses to think a certain group of people in our country don't deserve equal rights and I choose to think he is an ass.

When that Duck Dynasty character made some awful remarks about gay and black people I was outraged. I have NEVER seen one of their shows and I have NEVER had an interest to. I can't name the person who was in the interview nor can I pick him out of a line-up. It really just annoys me that someone in such a powerful spotlight would use that arena to say something so ignorant.

Recently, with this CEO person from Mozilla, we have seen the social court work it's charms. The CEO donated money to Prop 8.  HE believes marriage should be between a man and woman. He is like everyone else with an opinion. We all have them. He is allowed to his personal opinion. I don't care for his opinion. Big Fucking Deal. If he had been speaking on behalf of the company, sure, let's justifiably burn him at the stake. But he has donated his own money to a cause that he believes in. And, because of this, he has been charged and tried in the court of social law-- and he lost. The CEO of Mozilla stepped down because of all the media attention he has brought to the company over his opinions.

If I were to be run out of my work, town, community because of my beliefs or opinions I would cry foul and sue SOMEONE. (Because I'm a good American and we sue just because we can)

Why are we forcing people to change their personal opinions? And, if they don't, why do we persecute them? Is this really productive?

Here's an idea: how about we just be good to one another, try to persuade people instead of forcing and hopefully we can teach the next generation to be kinder to one another.

"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment