Friday, June 13, 2014

Less of an American

I'm really tired of being made to feel like less of an American due to my lack of belief.

No, there wasn't some new media-grabbing news that made me feel this way that is compelling me to write this post. It's the overwhelming stream of consciousness I get from my southern friends and family via social media.

Moving 2,000 miles away from everyone made it easier for me to live everyday life as an open atheist. Social media tends to bring me home in a philosophical way.  I am constantly bombarded with images of Jesus on a cross, scripture, and political agendas about how school shootings happen b/c God isn't allowed in schools anymore. Ugh!

Growing up, atheists were the scary people who were just outside of civilized society. These were the ones with no morals, bad attitudes, and a general disrespect for authority and American in general.

After all, God is the highest authority and America was blessed by God so...it's a Christian nation for sure. To be against God is to be unAmerican.

 I love my country. I've traveled outside of it and have learned that America may not be the best at a great many things but, when I came home, I was never more happy to be back. I had many friends in college who were so eager to leave the US for England. They couldn't wait to graduate and leave.  This country has it's problems but I want to be one of the few that stays because I want to help fix it.

 I vote in EVERY election. I pay my taxes. I buy American when possible. I volunteer time and money to social causes. I eat apple pie. I obey the speed limit- mostly. Hell, I've even watched football on occasion.

This is NOT A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY. You can read it anywhere. Our founding fathers said as much. I'm sick and tired of being called unAmerican because I happen to not believe in your particular fairy tale.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment