Friday, April 29, 2016

No. Women do NOT need a Me-ternity

I truly am the WORST feminist.

It was reported in The New York Post that an author by the name of Meghann Foye has written a book that states that non-moms deserve paid maternity leave, too.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/28/i-want-all-the-perks-of-maternity-leave-without-having-any-kids/

Meghann writes, "...I came to believe in the value of a 'me-ternity' leave-which is, to me, a sabbatical-like break that allows women.....to shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn't revolve around their jobs. For women who follow a 'traditional' path, this pause [maternity] often naturally comes in your late 20s or early 30s, when a wedding, pregnancy and babies means that your personal life takes center stage. But for those who end up on the 'other' path, that social mandated time and space for self-reflection may never come."

Are you shitting me right now, Meghann? Are you really saying that maternity leave is a time for women to 'self-reflect'? No. It is a time for a human to push another human out of themselves and try not to let it die. There is no sitting on a beach with a book and a fucking cocktail.

The article continues, "While she [Meghann] thinks both men and women could benefit from a 'me-ternity', she says that women would benefit more because "they are bad at putting ourselves first" and suffer from burnout at a higher rate than men."

Speak for yourself, bitch.

I had no problem with choosing not to have children because I knew I wouldn't provide well for them. I also knew that I didn't want to put a child first in my life. I have no problem whatsoever in putting myself first in my life.

And I'm fucking good at it.

"Foye, 38, started thinking about this idea when she was a magazine editor and became 'envious' of parents on staff who "left the office at 6 p.m. to tend to their children, while it was assumed co-workers without kids would stay behind to pick up the slack", she said. After the 2008 recession and the lack of job security, she started feeling like she has to be "tethered" to her work.'

Fucking, duh, Meghann. It's expected of men all the time. Get over yourself.

"It seemed that parenthood was the only path that provided a modicum of flexibility, she said. "There's something about saying 'I need to go pick up my child' as a reason to leave the office on time that has far more gravitas that, say, 'My best friend just got ghosted by her OKCupid date and needs a margarita'- but both sides are valid."

 No they're not, Meghann! Which, by the way, is a stupid way to spell Megan.

A kid needing to be picked up because they are sick is NOT the same as your idiot friend needing a drink. You can very well go get a drink after work. Or on your day off.

You ARE allowed to have days off. You ARE allowed to take a sabbatical from work. You ARE allowed to go on vacation.  Just like EVERYONE ELSE in a full-time job, we get 2 weeks off for a 'me-turity'. It's called PTO.

You ARE NOT ALLOWED to trivialize what other women go through with childbirth and raising children.

You ARE NOT ALLOWED to compare your girls night to time that parents NEED to devote to RAISING ANOTHER LIFE!!

Men are asked their entire life to work hard to provide for their families. They have always been expected to 'tether' themselves to their desks to earn as much as they can to support their wives, kids, elderly parents, etc.

The feminist movement is about equality. This trivial nonsense about 'women needing more time because we can't put ourselves first' needs to stop. NEEDS TO STOP!

We are capable of so much. We talk about how strong women are. We need to start acting like it. We need to pick up the slack for the parents.

My job is run by women. My boss is a woman. My managers are women. I'm proud to be a part of a women run business. What do you think my female boss would say if I brought it to her that I require time off to 'self-reflect'?

She would, rightly, laugh in my face.

Of all the selfish, ridiculous, egotistical, non-issue, nonsense I have EVER heard in the feminist movement this has got to be the worst thing I have ever come across....

It's bad enough that, as a non-child-bearing women, I get crap for not having kids but, now you want me to look even worse by claiming women deserve extra vacation because....what? We USED to not work? Fuck off, Meghann. You self-righteous, frivolous, waste of time, silly little girl.

Let the real women handle this.

No comments:

Post a Comment