Monday, July 15, 2013

Forgot how to be a woman in church....

Last Friday I was invited to a church to listen to a presentation on creationism. I had just recently attended a lecture on evolution so I thought it would be neat to listen to the opposing view- if for nothing more than pure curiosity.

The lecture was held at a Lutheran church- one part of the christian religion where I had not previously visited- and lead by a nuclear chemists by the name of Dr. Wile. Dr. Wile was a funny and captivating lecturer, however, nothing that he said seemed like enough evidence to turn away from evolution.

He showed some research that showed how radioactive half-lives correspond with the sun.  Interesting. He stated that this bit of scientific research caused him to come to the conclusion that science still hasn't fully come to an understanding of radioactive decay. Fair enough. But because of this he rejected evolution and turned to creationism 'kicking and screaming'...

If science doesn't understand fully how this decay works why would you immediately turn to something that states 'because God, that's why'? It seems like a cop out.

After the discussion I ended up in a conversation with another atheist and an aspiring apologetic. I've met this apologetic on numerous occasions and during this conversation with him I came to two  conclusions: 1) I do not care for this man and 2) I totally forgot how to be a good girl in church.

I have met this man at least 3 times before this conversation and he still refuses to learn my name, pretend that he has ever seen me or have a direct discussion with me. When speaking with me and the other atheist (male) he would direct all of his comments towards him and only acknowledge me in a condescending manner. The few times I tried to speak I was cut off, talked over or completely ignored.

My bad...women are to remain silent in church. Why would this rule be any different for an atheist woman?

The funny part of this night was when a woman who had been sitting next to me learned that I was an atheist. "But you're so nice!" I love that reaction. It's why I go into churches still. I want to try to change the stereotype people have of atheists. Because I happen to have a southern accent, am white and tend to dress kinda 'preppy' people don't seem to think of me as atheist. Once they do learn of my heathenism, I can see them trying to make my appearance fit their idea of what I should look like. Their look of befuddlement makes me giggle inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment