Thursday, July 18, 2013

How Rude

This isn't necessarily about being an atheist but more about being a southerner while dealing with a fast paced northern society. 

My mother, father and grandparents taught me the importance of being polite and courteous.  I say 'I'm sorry' like a Canadian pro. My elders are always to be respected, please and thank you are used both automatically and sincerely and table manners are a strict business.

My job consists of me having to call all over the country, on behalf of our clients, to gather pricing information on equipment, health care services, surgery costs and any other random thing a person may need after an injury. Many of our clients happen to live in Michigan.

There is no state in our country that I loathe less than Michigan.  While having an amazing no-fault health care policy and having a good structure for supporting their elderly, disabled and youth, I have never worked with such an unorganized, unprofessional and downright rude group of people.

 If you ever need to request your health records from the University of Michigan Hospital- good luck. They are currently 2-4 weeks behind. Children's Hospital? Try 2-3 months. While I write this I am currently on hold with UofM billing department. I have been on hold for 20 minutes. Once I get someone on the phone I plan on being either told this is the wrong department, having someone attempt to transfer me to the 'correct' department and eventually have their line hang up on me.

However, this can be true for any call center style office. I, myself, have worked for I.T. call centers where the hold time would reach 45 minutes. The difference? By the time I answered the phone I was full of apologies, helpful information and either a solution or I would stay on the phone until I found someone to answer the question.

Phone skills are such a useful thing to utilize to not leave a bad taste in the mouths of your consumers.

I find myself constantly saying 'I'm sorry', watching my surroundings to make sure I'm not intruding on anyone and trying my best to be personable and respectful of anyone/everyone around me. It actually annoys me to see other people be rude- even when I am in no way involved.

When I walk/drive around Denver I find it amazing how often I get cut off,  flicked off, pushed and almost run over. I promise I'm not an old lady. I've mastered the art of dodging through  high school hallways and malls in the middle of Christmas rush-I've worked in many malls. I've driven in rush hour traffic, major cities, 8-lane highways and even in other countries that drive on the left side of the road. I know how to move. Apparently, I don't have the attitude. 

Like the other night at the Lutheran Church, I get talked over, interrupted and ignored daily. On the phone, in person....it happens everywhere.

The more I think about this I wonder if it a southern vs northern thing or...because I'm a woman. And not an exceedingly pretty one, at that. 

A few years ago, while working for a big blue box of an electronic store, I did a small social experiment. I worked in their computer sales department. I would sell computers, printers, tablets, mp3s, cameras and car stereos. I started to wonder if my sales would change depending on my looks. I started doing my make-up heavier, put more time into my hair by making it fuller,  did not wear my glasses and wore more jewelry. I did this for a week. The following week I put my hair in a ponytail, wore my thicker/darker glasses, toned down the make-up and wore a belt that had studs.

I got more sales when I had my glasses on but had longer conversations with the preppier look. I also got hit on a lot.

I had the same sales pitch. I knew the same knowledge. I spoke the same way. But, because I looked like I knew things, the 'geeky' me made more sales. I tried to give this information to my boss but he didn't really care. As long as I was making my goals he was happy.

Bringing this all back to being a southern atheist: it always amuses me when someone meets me and talks to me for a while. They take in my southern accent, my preppy clothes and my warm nature and they become so shocked when I state that I do not believe in a higher power. Like the woman the other night: "But, you're so nice!"

There are rude an sweet people all over the place. There are angry and happy people in religion and out. Stereotypes is one of the major themes in my life. I want to prove to people that you can't always judge an atheist by their accent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment