Friday, February 6, 2015

I'm not going to coddle your religion anymore.

Fairly recently I was monitoring the Facebook page of one of my groups. We had posted a link to a charity fundraiser. A secular camp for children was hosting a ticket auction on eBay for camp scholarships. (Remember those words: charity, fundraiser, children, and scholarship) Someone posted a rant underneath this link about how atheists are (and should be) fearful of God and how we need him to be able to understand right from wrong...yadda, yadda, yadda.  Basic stuff.

Today, I read a religious article about how the recent vaccine issue of 'herd immunity' can be compared to why atheists and secular humanists have been unaffected by real evil because there are so many people around them who have grown up with Judeo-Christian morals. **If you're unsure of what 'herd immunity' is, think of how very young or very sick children who can't get certain vaccines don't contract a disease. There are plenty of people around them who have had the vaccine for said disease so they are protected from it. Like a bubble.

This article was basically saying that I have not learned true evil from basic human nature because the people around me, who are Christians, are blocking and protecting me from it. They have God's love that teaches them not to kill, rape, or do any other harm. The human race has no morals and is valueless without the teaching of God.

Here is the article: http://www.wnd.com/2015/02/vaccines-values-and-atheist-free-riders/

I'd already stopped pretending that someone who directly insults me is a good person. The charity ranter ans this woman who wrote the article have sealed it for me. I will no longer coddle someone because they are religious.

My response to the man who ranted underneath the fundraiser was one of utter disbelief and pity because he cannot make basic decisions about right and wrong without his imaginary friend. The woman who wrote the article is so disillusioned with reality she cannot see how not killing and injuring her neighbors would be detrimental to the basic fabric of society.

People who believe that they need some sort of constant eye on them to be good people are not good people. They do not belong in the general public. They are sick and they need mental help. I'm weary of them. And I'm going to start telling them so.

As a disclaimer: I'm not going to just walk into churches and scream at everyone. I'm just tired of people recoiling from me or responding with disgust when I mention that I'm an atheist. I'm going to be returning the favor. Otherwise, I assume I can have a polite conversation with anyone of any religion or non-religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment