Saturday, November 9, 2013

Tell Your Story

Last night I hosted an event for the Denver Atheists at the Secular Hub. It was entitled "Tell Your Story".

Whenever atheists come together we seem to always talk about how we came to reason. I figured why not have an event for that sole purpose? We had about 25 or so atheists,  we went around the room AA style (Hi. I'm John and I'm an atheist. Hi, John!) and everyone told their personal story.

We had people who grew up in Buddhist temples, LDS churches, Jewish synagogues, Church of Christ (my own brand on religious upbringing), Scientology and just plain 'cult'.  Some had been freethinkers all their lives. Many were brand new to atheism. It was fascinating.

The best part is that, even though we went 2 hours past our scheduled end time, everyone stayed to hear all the stories. Everyone wanted to hear what the others had gone through.  We all asked questions. I even found other CoC's. That's the first time that has happened for me.

To hear about other people losing their faith, struggling with the loss of friends and family, dealing with the daunting thought of nothingness after we die....it makes you feel more sure. Is that the word I want to use? I felt more sane. It's not just me who searched for answers in my religion only to find more questions. I'm not the only weirdo who couldn't buy in to the feel-good/hell-fire bogus stories. I'm not the only one who gets sad because I know that once someone dies I'll never see them again. I know that there is no heaven and they are gone to me forever. It hurts to not be able to have that small comfort of heaven.

It can be sad. But, we've never felt so free.

At the same time, it makes me appreciate what time I have, if ever so briefly, on this planet.  I marvel in the wonder that is the human race interacting with the planet, with the struggles of life and with one another. It's one of the reasons I have become so involved with the local secular communities. Being around others is comforting. It's enlightening. It's fun!

Community was one of the main topics last night. Many people were afraid of leaving their churches because they feared losing their community; their social lives. Hopefully, the more secular people come out of the closet, the larger community we will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment